- on the no-debate list
PARTNERS IN MISSION COORDINATING COMMITTEE RESOLUTION
APPROVED BY THE COUNCIL OF GENERAL SYNOD DURING THE QUADRENNIUM (2019 – 2023)
Resolution – Revision of Terms of Reference for the Partners in Mission Coordinating Committee
Moved by: The Rev. Dr. Karen Egan
Seconded by: Mr. Scott Potter
Be it resolved:
That the Council of General Synod approves the revised (February 9, 2022) Terms of Reference for the Partners in Mission Coordinating Committee.
ADOPTED #CoGS 005-03-22
Terms of Reference
Partners in Mission Coordinating Committee
We as the Church are mandated by our baptism to seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving our neighbour as ourselves and to strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being. Our baptism calls us to be signs and instruments of God’s reconciling love in the world. We have a responsibility to incarnate our response to Jesus’ summary of the law, ‘to love God and our neighbor as self,’ to Jesus’ example of being in right relationships, and to the question posed by the prophet Micah (6:8): ‘And what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and love kindness, and walk humbly with your God?’
We as the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada seek direction and vitality for ministry within the Anglican Communion’s Marks of Mission. We are determined to be leaders in the Anglican Communion and in ecumenical actions, to foster a common sense of participation in God’s mission that celebrates the depth and breadth of Anglicanism in our Canadian church, develops our relationships with other parts of the Anglican Communion, and deepens Full Communion with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, and ecumenical partnerships. We explore structures for ministry that are adaptable and flexible for our ever-changing world and we work advocating for the mission of the church and of God, in solidarity with Full Communion partners, and within the Anglican Communion.
The work of Partners in Mission Coordinating Committee is to:
- Oversee and undertake policies governing the church’s national program of relationship with Provinces of the Anglican Communion, involving the implementation of General Synod resolutions and Joint Ministry Agreements;
- Strengthen and build relationships for mission between General Synod and Canadian dioceses and global partners, such as:development of national networks,
establishment of Companion Diocese Relationships,
promotion of Companions of Jerusalem and Jerusalem Sunday,
participation in Communion Networks, and
production of print resources and web-based communications;
- Identify and promote opportunities, advocating for deeper awareness of culture and learning for intercultural discipleship for Canadian Anglicans to live out their baptismal ministry;
- Communicate and report to the Council of General Synod at regular intervals, ready to recommend new opportunities, policies, and actions that advocate for the work, ministry, and mission of this Committee; and
- Monitor and support the involvement of the Anglican Church of Canada in the World Council of Churches, the Anglican Consultative Council, and in relevant networks of the Anglican Communion and in partner organizations that share in the ministry and mission of this Committee.
Revised March 10, 2022